Tuesday, July 16, 2013

I shared this on my Facebook page last fall, but I just came across it again today and I think it is as relevant now as it was then. Sharing again, because it's such brilliant advice from the gorgeous aerialist Alysia Michelle James.
Today a friend asked me what to do about getting into performing. What I thought was going to be a short and sweet answer turned into this manifesto. I wanted to share it for all the aspiring performers of any artform out there that had the same question.



The biggest advice I can give to you is to put yourself out there, network like crazy, figure out the people you want to meet, put yourself in their path, connect with them, get great photos, get a great website, have something to show people when you introduce yourself and to never give up no matter what because you will be rejected like crazy, you have to really want it, be persistent and network network network, get in the best shape you can possibly be in because - let's face it, all the people who are performing have these amazing bodies, get good costumes, get videos, do everything you can think of, be honest, be professional and commit to it. That's what I did and I'm not even working regularly, but the gigs I do get are awesome.
You'll probably have to work for free so you can have a resume and probably for years. Most people think they can jump in and will just start getting gigs, this only works if you are super connected, but most of us aren't. It's not easy. I've been an aerialist for 4.5 years, I've been spinning fire for 3.5 years and only been really working regularly (sometimes once a month, sometimes once every two months but I guess that is consistent enough) for the past year and a half. This is a touchy subject because I get shit from people about how I get to perform and this that and the other thing and how come they can't? The answer is that they haven't worked their ass off for it.
I started performing aerial professionally around three years ago, but that does not I did it regularly. It meant here and there, every now and then. I cracked my rib and had to take some time off from aerial for a while and then had to spend months getting back to where I was. Only now do I feel like I am pretty good at what I do. I have friends and strangers tell me I am fantastic and within my level, I am, but there is the level beyond where I am, the next one, which proves physics wrong - kind of like the Animatrix episode about the atheletes. You have to always be reaching for that - not reaching to be the best, but reaching to be YOUR best - what can your body do? What is it truly capable of and are you willing to test it? To put in the time and the effort? You can't be comfortable in the level you are at - or you can - but we have to grow as performers and as human beings. I have spent *thousands* of dollars on my aerial education. No one really needs to spend money on fire education when you're with the right crew because we all share, but it's different with aerial because it is so very dangerous. The same point could be argued for fire, only it's rare you could kill yourself during a show, where it's more than possible with aerial.
Fire is an accessory of my performance abilities, along with tumbling, acting and dancing. I am by default an aerialist. If you can't choose a path, you'll never finish the journey.
I have taken a step out of performing for a little bit in order to push myself much further into my craft. I've gotten stronger, I've probably doubled my aerial vocabulary. I have a lot to offer in the way of a performer *now* I had less a year ago. I suppose we need to offer the most we can as performers and we need to understand our art. Know why you are doing it. You'll know in your heart if it is for the right reasons. When you love, when you day dream, when you are passionate about your art, when it's all you can think about night and day for years on end, if you are absolutely in love with it - then it won't be hard to do everything within your power to create it for yourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment