Friday, June 17, 2011

Suffering for art - Pole and Metal Allergies

Most of us pole dancers think we suffer for our art. But some of us suffer in a special, awful, insufferable way. I'm talking about metal allergies.
I've been mildly allergic to metal since my early teens. I remember painting clear nail polish over the metal buttons on my jeans, avoiding cheap jewelry, watching out for belt buckles. But it was never a huge hassle. Minor itching with some bumps that went away in a day or two.

I started pole not even thinking that I might react to the apparatus. As a beginner, you're not gripping with your body, just your hands. Then I fell in love. I advanced, and started using my legs, knees, arms, thighs to grip. And my skin exploded. These days, if I'm on the pole for more than an hour I will be scratching like crazy by the next day.

I've been able to manage the reaction. I slather on Aveeno body lotion with colloidal oatmeal like it's skin food. Every morning and especially after a long pole session. I love this stuff because the way it reacts with my skin, it makes me stick to the pole more rather than slide off.
If it gets worse, I reach for calamine lotion to stop the itching immediately. I wrap my arms and legs in wet elastic bandages. I wear knee-high socks with the heels and toes cut out to bed to keep the sheets from touching my shins (I always itch where my legs grip while climbing).
Finally, once the itching goes down a bit, I use hydrocortisone cream to heal up.

But all this, after every class? Pretty much.

I've finally decided enough is enough! I got my nerd on and started researching.


The reason I react to the poles is a metal allergy. But to which metal? I'm not sure. Here's a breakdown.
Our studio uses X-Poles. X-Pole US offers two coatings: chrome and titanium gold.
Here's what their website says about their metals:

Chrome is silver in color and is a good general use pole for both spins and inverts.

Titanium Gold is gold in color and has an electronically coated surface that increases the grip. It is made to emulate the grip of a brass pole and is ideal for climbs and inverts.

Platinum Stages, another major US manufacturer, offers brass and stainless steel options. Here's what they say on their Facebook page about their metals.
Chrome poles are usually a nickel based pole with a chrome coating or plating. With a high population of people with nickel allergies & the possibility of chromium toxictiy we chose not to have this chrome option. If you are looking for a good grip on a pole, brass is always the best option. If you like the look of a shiny silver pole, our stainless steel pole has that shine to it but wont ever flake or give you an allergic reaction.

Lil' Mynx, the third major manufacturer, offers stainless and powder coated - like playground poles. Here's what their website FAQ says.
The powder coated finish Red, Black or Pink is a durable long lasting paint that is great for climbing and posing as it has the best grip. Stainless poles are “slippery” great for spins but have much less grip and are harder to climb.


So which metal/coating is best? I'm still investigating but here's what I have found.
Stainless steel is the most slippery pole material. The upside of this is that stainless poles make for fluid, gorgeous static spins and help build up grip strength. Some dancers like practicing on stainless to build up their grip, so they can dance on any type of pole. The problem is that none of the manufacturers mention what grade of steel they're using, and low-quality stainless poles can contain a high percentage of nickel. Nickel allergies are EXTREMELY common and can cause a very severe reaction. Here's what one poster had to say in a StudioVeena forum post about metals.
The lowest stainlessgrade that has a chance to work with metal allergies is 316L. There are higher grades than that up to those that start 316LVM. That grade means the nickel has to be contained in the inside of the metal in a way that's inert when inside the body. 316LVM is used in pacemakers and such; it's surgical implant grade. It or titanium will be generally the only body jewelry an allergic person can wear and not react. It's also more expensive... All stainless steel has nickel in it; it's just a matter of what state that nickel is in.

Next in stickiness is chrome. It's quite pretty and significantly grippier than stainless, but not much more expensive. However, to make that pretty, shiny silver chrome, layers of nickel and then chromium are applied onto the steel pole. Again, dancers allergic to nickel will react immediately to these poles. Some people are also sensitive to the chromium itself.

After chrome, powder coated poles are the next level in sticky. These are technically plastic coated poles and are what you see at jungle gyms and playgrounds. The upside is they can come in any color, but the downside is that they can cause skin burns during drops and slides. Powder coating shouldn't cause any reaction for dancers allergic to metal. But powder coating isn't widely available for poles, can't be used on threaded or multi-piece poles, and of course, isn't a shiny silver or gold.

Titanium coated poles are fairly new - only X-Pole offers them and the company has been pretty close-lipped on what types of metal are in these poles. I suspect they are using titanium nitride because it is gold in color. These poles are nearly as grippy as brass and great for aerial tricks. Titanium by itself as a pure metal is extremely hypoallergenic, but titanium nitride is a thin layer applied over chrome or nickel plating. That alone can cause an allergic reaction in very sensitive people. Plus, the titanium layer wears off, especially in high-use settings like a studio. You're left with a bare chrome or high-nickel steel pole.

Which leaves us with brass. These are the ultimate in grip. They are a bright coppery-gold color, excellent for aerial moves and spinning pole tricks. However, brass tarnishes when it reacts to the oils in skin, so it needs to be polished frequently. It can leave a black residue on cleaning rags or on skin. Brass, being a softer metal, can't be used for extremely tall or skinny poles since it will bend or crack. And since it can contain lead and zinc, another common allergen, it's not the healthiest option for poles either.

So after all this, where does that leave me? With a spinning head and without a pole to spin on. I need to do more research. I plan on visiting other studios that have stainless steel poles - my final hope. If the stainless is high enough quality, I won't break out in itching and my problem will be solved. If not, I may need to look into powder coated poles for my home. If I can practice mostly on a hypoallergenic pole, I can advance on my own and minimize my time on the poles at the studio.

There is no current cure for metal allergies. But I'm holding out hope for this brand-spanking new line of research involving mice and their reaction to nickel. Here's a summary.
A specific immune-system mechanism underlies the skin rashes caused by contact with nickel, one of the world's most common allergens.
German researchers have found that in humans, the metal directly activates a member of the family of receptors that act as gatekeepers of innate immunity, the body's first line of defence against pathogens. Activating this receptor, called Toll-like receptor 4 (TLR4), generates a 'danger signal' that promotes inflammation — causing itching, tenderness, swelling and rashes on the skin — and recruits other immune cells such as T cells to the area.

No one has ever proposed that a single receptor could mediate the initial inflammatory response that leads to an allergic reaction to nickel, explains Matthias Goebeler, a dermatologist at the University of Giessen in Germany, who led the study. What's more, he says, "this is the first time that an inorganic agent has been found to activate this pathway" of the innate immune system.

....The work suggests it may be possible to treat nickel allergy with a topical blocker of TLR4.

11 comments:

  1. I just posted this to SV but thought it would be useful here too:


    Have you ever tried applying benadryl ointment prior to class or even taking benadryl? I know it makes a lot of people sleepy (the down side) but can really help keep a reaction at bay. The ointment may be a great option for you....I think they make both a gel and a lotion....I would opt for the gel. There is also a product that is called barrier cream. It is used in a lot of industrial applications an also for spray tanning. It creates a thin barrier between your skin and whatever it is contacting. This stuff is non greasy. The stuff I have at work is made by a company here in Ohio. I also use it whenever I color my hair as it keeps the dye off my hair line. You shoudl be able to find something locally or online if you search for barrier cream.

    http://www.diversifiedcompoundedproducts.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, i've been pole dancing for six months now and i have a terrible allergy to nickel. For the last four or five months my right hand, the one i use most for spinning is completly wrecked, the skin is all broken and split and it's incredibly painfull. My legs as well are covered in a hives like rash which i just cannot seem to heal.

    I'm so sick of being in constant pain, i struggle with certain moves because my skin swells up or starts bleeding. But i LOVE the pole, i'm completly addicted.

    If your still struggling with the same problems then i'd love to keep in touch and see if either of us discover a cure because i'm just dying to find a way around this!! I've just bought a barrier cream, i'm hoping using that will stop the reaction, but i don't hold out much hope. Please email me at nctownson@hotmail.co.uk or reply here :-)
    I'm so glad that i found this post i feel less alone with this strange problem!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey ladies!
    So here is my solution, perhaps it will be helpful for both of you. I haven't tried the barrier cream, but I did find a stopgap and a permanent solution for myself.
    When I dance on chrome or brass poles, I spray and wipe my legs and other contact areas with rubbing alcohol and wipe them off with a clean paper towel. Usually I do this twice or three times in a row. Then I apply my Aveeno lotion. This works almost all the time. You will be surprised how much metal residue comes off with alcohol! I suspect that benadryl taken before poling might help too, but I haven't tried it.
    As far as a permanent solution, I have moved to stainless steel poles by Platinum Stages. These do not irritate my skin at ALL - and as I'm teaching now, I'm on them all the time.
    I hope you have both found solutions too! :)
    -Iris

    ReplyDelete
  4. I feel your guys pain. I had gotten the rash right by my knee, then it went away. As I progressed, the rash spread to my inner thighs. I don't know if I'm allergic to any metal (dermatologist said I needed to take a 1 week patch test), but my hands were in contact with the metal more than my legs... in any case started to scab from scratching and now i'm hesitant to get on the pole. Iris, hopefully your method will work. Did you use 70% isopropanol alcohol? Did you use it to clean the pole or made it into a 50/50 solution? Did you clean your legs before and after you each session?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Maybe I am digging up an old article, but I just HAVE to share my experience. Hope it benefits whomever comes to this page in the future. The studio I go to uses chrome-finished X-poles. I had a serious rash behind my knee and on my forearms after my first class. Then I did some Google research and ran to Walgreens for a tube of zinc oxide skin protectant. Worked great - didn't have any problem at all after 2nd class. It not only isn't slippery but actually helps grip the pole. Washes off easily with soap. Walgreens carries more than one brand of that but I just bought the Walgreens brand generic one.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm still suffering guys - I bought a barrier cream and tried that but it didn't work. Also tried the anti histamine tablets before and after class which also didn't seem to help. I currently use a chrome x pole and i'm still debating whether i should fork out for brass.

    Have any of you guys heard of or tried pole sleeves? It's like a foamy rubbery covering for the pole? it's meant to increase grip and you can even pole in clothes! But when i saw the advert all i was thinking of was allergy cure?! Only problem is they are a bit pricey for me! I'm totally broke at the minuet.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've tried Pole Sleeves. They're much like using a rubber Chinese pole. Great if you want to dance in long sleeves and long pants, but I wouldn't want to use these in a regular pole outfit or costume. You'll rip all your skin off. Lots of moves aren't possible - drops, twists, anything where you need a little movement.
    Scrubbing off with alcohol on a fresh, clean rag or paper towel after every class has been the long-term solution for me. SCRUB every contact point, lower legs, inner thighs, side of torso, back of underarm, inner elbow, shoulder, everything. Then I use the Aveeno lotion to rehydrate and protect. Best of luck friends! Antihistamine won't work because it is a contact allergy, so as long as that metal residue is on your skin it won't help you. Alcohol removes the residue.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am not an expert in metals whatsoever, but in my experience, not all stainless steel poles are the same! PoleDanzer poles are stainless and on par (in my opinion), or even superior to chrome Xpoles in terms of slippery-ness. They are quite spendy but WELL worth it in every way if you're looking for a permanent pole. I have ordered stainless Xpert Xpoles for clients as their home poles in the past and they have loved them as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sasha,
      do you prefer the stainless steel from PoleDanzer compared with the stainless from Xpole? Or they are the same? I also deal with skin reactions. Thank you for your help ladies!!

      Delete
  9. Thank you ladies,
    this has been helpfull. Took not and will try out the suggestions. Lotus

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you so much for this post!!! I've been pole dancing for couple years and suffering from metal allergy since I was a kid. I'll try all your suggestions, hope it will help!

    ReplyDelete