Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Excerpts from my pole journal

I love my pole journal. Ah...journals. I can never finish one, so I have about four that I've tried to combine many times. One is lined, with notes on what I taught in each class and the date. One is a hardcover art book with blank pages, perfect for costume sketches and stick figures of new moves. But I honestly don't know how dancers get along without at least one. Recently, I taught a freedance workshop - which is probably the class where you need a journal the least - but still, I gave all the participating students little journals so they could make notes on the exercises. Every time I open mine up, I find a combo or trick that I had forgotten about. Or a half-choreographed routine that I should really finish. They are the solution to my awful memory, and a repository of works in progress. Also a good place to doodle while you think up new performance pieces.

No comments:

Post a Comment