Friday, December 23, 2011

This year in pole.

Amazing things that have happened this year because of pole:

A friend recently commented with surprise on my "huge and muscular" thighs, and instead of smacking him I smiled wide and said, "Why, thank you!" Because these legs. Do. Work. I finally like my little squat legs, because of what they can do and the way dance has reshaped them. Miraculous.

I taught my first class at The Vertitude! What a fulfilling and challenging experience teaching has been so far. I learned the importance of breaking down a move with clear instructions, good spotting and being the confidant for many students.

My students made me cry at their first recital. It is a dream come true to see the bravery and dedication pay off for them as they each beamed and took a bow, the crowd applauding wildly.

To my surprise, many of my pole idols have become friends! I've found a new appreciation for their hard work and professionalism. The difference between a pole dancer and a pole diva has come into sharp focus. Dancers do it because they truly love what they do. Dancers are authentic, passionate, caring, committed people. I'm lucky to call them friends.

I've become a performer! Terrifying and exhilarating. I pushed past the fear. I found fun hiding back there!

I've been humbled by many instructors. I've learned that the basics are always worth going over again. I've learned to take it slow, rest my body and mind so that I can dance fresh, with honesty.

I've told my own story to dozens of students. Always reminding them that I started where they did, awkward and uncertain and scared.

The best part of this year has been those high-fives, the cheers and happy dances when another student breaks through a barrier and does what she thought was impossible.



No comments:

Post a Comment